Satwant Singh Kaleka (65 years old) died defending the temple he built, attempting to fend off a gunman who attacked worshippers Sunday, family members said. Kaleka came to the United States with $100 in his pocket and worked tirelessly to give back to others and build a vibrant Sikh community in the south of the city.
Paramjit Kaur (41 years old) was the mother of two sons, ages 18 and 20. She was a weekly presence at the temple. She came to pray and to prepare food every Sunday for the shared meal.
Suveg Singh (84 years old) held a key role at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin. He provided fellowship. He would ask cabdrivers about their families or offer an uplifting scripture passage. Suveg Singh, who lived with his family, was known to come to the temple early in the morning and stay through the evening, sometimes as late as 7 p.m.
Prakash Singh (39 years old) had reunited with his family just 45 days ago. A priest at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin for about six years, Prakash Singh had gone to India in June, returning with his wife, 11-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter.
Ranjit Singh (49 years old). Ranjit Singh’s son was seven months old when Singh left his home in Delhi, India, and came to the United States, according to report by NDTV, a New Delhi-based media company. The boy, Gurvinder, hoped to see his father for the first time in 16 years when Singh returned to Delhi in November to celebrate the Indian holiday of Diwali, the station reported.
Sita Singh (41 years old). Priest Sita Singh moved here from New York City about six months ago to serve the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin while another priest was gone. He was shot and killed along with his older brother, Ranjit Singh.
<i>edited to add</i>
There has been a fund set up for the victims of the Oak Creek Temple Shooting (source)
Victims Memorial Fund
c/o Sikh Temple
7512 S. Howell Ave.
Oak Creek, WI 53154
There are also two web based fund raising efforts run by Sikh people.
- hornedwolfbeast reblogged this from jadelyn
- struggleisacircle likes this
- ziziwest likes this
- ivetekuete likes this
- sex-edumacation reblogged this from crunkfeministcollective
- sinthusized reblogged this from youottercomeagain
- thebardofavon reblogged this from searchingforknowledge
- youottercomeagain reblogged this from searchingforknowledge
- enemyofprogress reblogged this from blackandbritish
- and-the-times-we-had reblogged this from literaryluminations
- eggznrice reblogged this from kajal
- inkyubus reblogged this from jaredbottoms
- branches-for-bones reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- opus39 likes this
- numol reblogged this from tal9000
- scriptorpaulina reblogged this from wordsmith41
- jenyfly likes this
- starsallhavenames reblogged this from caterinasforzas
- willawrites likes this
- chandlermuriellbing reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- ilikemygrungelikeilikemysteak likes this
- thereisnosaintellen reblogged this from bestesh-mensch
- mondaynighthorrors reblogged this from hello-samantha
- wolfdancer likes this
- phofilmfan reblogged this from pearlwithagirlearring
- phofilmfan likes this
- heyshuki likes this
- hello-samantha reblogged this from she-sleepsalone
- she-sleepsalone reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- productofevolution reblogged this from thingssheloves
- productofevolution likes this
- lebeam likes this
- soisabee reblogged this from thestoutorialist
- mapleflowers reblogged this from trollny-stark
- shallowbeliever- reblogged this from themamafox and added:
- littleainthecloset likes this
- everythingissoawesome reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- nocticola reblogged this from anedumacation
- desireeandmarie reblogged this from vertebraiding
- dinosexual reblogged this from mayra-quijotesca
- misfittoys reblogged this from unicornery
- your-ridiculous-lies reblogged this from phanapoeia
- sansafuckingstark reblogged this from commanderspock and added:
- heliopath reblogged this from longjackets
- etceteraandwhatnot reblogged this from literarynerd
- dramadork884 reblogged this from thequeenofpigeons
- dramadork884 likes this
- thequeenofpigeons reblogged this from literarynerd
- phanapoeia reblogged this from monkeyknifefight