As we continue to post updates from Pfc. Manning’s trial, we have been getting many messages on how to refer to Manning. So we wanted to open this discussion up to our readers.
In June 2010, conversations between Manning and former hacker Adrian Lamo were released to the public and offered insight into the whistleblower’s involvement with Wikileaks.
She also confided in Lamo that she was having gender identity issues and feared being publicized as a man.
A few days after Manning had confided in Lamo, she was arrested in Kuwait after Lamo informed the FBI and the Army about the leaked cables.
We want to honor Manning’s identity; however, we also understand she has not come out publicly about her gender & that it isn’t necessarily our place to do so for her. This may be for many reasons, including not being ready and that it may even possibly escalate the torturous conditions of Manning’s imprisonment.
So we want to open this discussion to everyone. How do you feel we should refer to Pfc. Manning? Reply to this post or message us here.
Edit: For posts on Pfc. Manning, we’ll use B. Manning/they.
- cyderpunk reblogged this from thecheekylibertarian
- liketakingblood said:Ah, I would say “B.”
- liketakingblood likes this
- maiqilai reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- ohitspace reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- ohitspace likes this
- a-certain-shade likes this
- kellypope likes this
- ladyandrist likes this
- tk-n-la likes this
- thecheekylibertarian reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord and added:
- mildlyimpressive reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- zenmasterstation likes this
- actualqueerroselalonde reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- dakotapuma said:I have chosen to continue with “Bradley” until the public is given a clearer, direct indication from the real person who gets to do the deciding for himself or herself. Also, I would not presume to correct anyone else.
- nationofone likes this
- frobertluna likes this
- ananiujitha reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord and added:
- collaterlysisters said:hi, im trans - i feel like ‘her’ is pretty clearly appropriate, but who knows how sold she was on “Breanna” at the time she was floating it on IRC. I tend to stick with Manning or B. Manning, “they” isn’t terrible but she’s expressed a clear pref.
- lovechildoftheinternet reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord and added:
- tothemouthofhellitis likes this
- nhaler likes this
- comix likes this
- turbosporty likes this
- brujacore said:Gender-neutral pronouns wouldn’t hurt. They, their, themself.
- pfowolf likes this
- mpdgorgon-archive likes this
- brujacore likes this
- mamitah likes this
- racismschool likes this
- ridamna likes this
- thepeoplesrecord posted this