So, when you thank me for my service, it disturbs me … a lot. First off, it brings to mind my wasted youth and lost innocence, and the horrible and unnecessary deaths of good friends and comrades.
Second, it reminds me of my responsibility and culpability for the pain and suffering I caused innocent people, again something I would rather forget, but cannot.
Third, it reinforces my belief that you have absolutely no idea about the nature and reality of the wars in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, because if you did, you would understand that thanks are inappropriate.
Fourth, it reminds me that many of those who feel the need to offer thanks were apathetic about - or even supportive of - the war, while they refuse to participate themselves or did little or nothing to end it.
And lastly, I have to admit that I doubt the sincerity of these expressions of supposed gratitude, as “Thank you for your service” is just something to say not because you care about what I did or sacrificed, but only to demonstrate your supposed good character, or patriotism and/or “support” for members of the military and veterans.
Camillo ”Mac” Bica, PhD, "Don’t thank me for my service"
Camillo is a professor of philosophy at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. He is a former Marine Corps officer, Vietnam veteran, longtime activist for peace and social justice, and the coordinator of the Long Island Chapter of Veterans for Peace.
- losgirasolesciegos likes this
- thewumberlog reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- ly-cynical likes this
- tas-nia likes this
- stay-human likes this
- izziefoshizzie reblogged this from lovealwaysx
- nolackofloquaciousness reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- thewumberlog likes this
- blackbird79 reblogged this from foodbeersexwhatever
- underthatpapermoon reblogged this from trashnympharchive
- givegladtidingstothestrangers likes this
- same-deep-water-as-you reblogged this from trashnympharchive
- oceanshavenomemory likes this
- vincent-van-gogh-away likes this
- vincent-van-gogh-away reblogged this from trashnympharchive
- trashnympharchive reblogged this from nonmuslimterrorists
- turnup-function reblogged this from nonmuslimterrorists
- turnup-function likes this
- significant--figures reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- rachstick reblogged this from beatingthebinary
- rachstick likes this
- philosophicalfemme likes this
- beatingthebinary reblogged this from zavmonster
- zavmonster reblogged this from scatteredcollections
- euphrasieodinson reblogged this from unsolicitousaffection
- nameychu reblogged this from liberalbydefault
- athreateninghaiku reblogged this from everythingis3dgraphics
- ambulanceinertia likes this
- everythingis3dgraphics reblogged this from pornocreep
- pornocreep reblogged this from heartlessmachinegirl
- heartlessmachinegirl reblogged this from queerandpresentdanger
- delilahbelle reblogged this from tatuvevo
- chargrgrl79 likes this
- getwinded reblogged this from deadwicked
- politiciansoc reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- optimysticalsoul likes this
- catspizzatv likes this
- conjecturesandconversations likes this
- veisalgia likes this
- watercolor--dreams likes this
- justaheartbeataway likes this
- wonderwhale reblogged this from onlyslightly
- acowgirlwiththeblues reblogged this from onlyslightly
- onlyslightly reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- onlyslightly likes this
- inqalaab likes this
- ohpauline likes this
- salsabelfaraway likes this
- lonewoolfs likes this
- narutardation likes this