The thing about the current state of the NSA Domestic Spying programs is that nobody seems to care.
This problem of apathy is probably because privacy loss on this scale is not really a tangible thing to most people. It’s hard to imagine how big a city is, let alone a country, and how many people are seeing your every tweet, status update, phone call, etc.
You threaten to “take away” people’s guns, they balk.
You threaten to “take away” people’s health care, they scream bloody murder.
But you tell them that the government is spying on them? Well, no biggie! They do that to everyone, and it’s to stop Terr’ists™.
What seems to happen is that people think of it as an either/or question:
1. The government has to watch everyone
2. The Terr’ists™ among us will kill us all.
It rarely seems to occur to us that this reactionary spying is caving into what the terrorists want. When you live in constant fear of being killed going about your everyday life, then, to turn a phrase, the terrorists have won.
When you have the NSA doing elaborate legalistic acrobatics to say that seizing phone records, passwords, bank information, is not “unreasonable search and seizure” because it’s not on paper, that’s some bull.
So where does it stop?
Submitted by: kellanium
- aprilludgatesque reblogged this from blenderbender1811
- swissmisstery likes this
- maniacalmezzo likes this
- sinshine reblogged this from idlnmclean
- iwalkliketommypickles reblogged this from xgllgx
- iwalkliketommypickles likes this
- adebisismachete likes this
- politiciansoc reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- s0wingseas0n reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- s0wingseas0n likes this
- jarofmud reblogged this from thewaitingplatypus
- thewaitingplatypus reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- hot-chocolate-and-kittens likes this
- exgrrlfriend likes this
- kanaya-west reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- kmanovaere likes this
- arctic-satellite likes this
- ibingeonbonbons reblogged this from kennyssoapbox
- ibingeonbonbons likes this
- unrealcities likes this
- kennyvee likes this
- kennyssoapbox reblogged this from butchrosser
- mrrodd likes this
- sassysexyphone reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- farawayfar likes this
- angryaboutcrimes reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- recall-all-republicans reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- theliberaltony reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- sleepyhotties likes this
- micgripper reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- spencernoirexoxo likes this
- likeappletrees likes this
- grimsage reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- queenchrysalisrps likes this
- thereluctantoptimist likes this
- noctilucent-supercell likes this
- purplenana likes this
- bohemianartlabs reblogged this from professorblind
- preschtale reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- preschtale likes this
- waycoolhacky likes this
- semihemidemisemisexual likes this
- woofdaddy likes this
- butchrosser reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- liberalisnotadirtyword reblogged this from giraffesonjupiter
- giraffesonjupiter reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- thebluemaverick reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- shupajuniyah reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- lowspark13 reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias