I think we disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little. It’s exactly the reverse of what they’re saying. I don’t know where they went to school, but they certainly didn’t take a math course. Or a logic course.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg on NYPD’s Stop & Frisk program.
LOL, okay. Some stats:
- From 2002 to 2011, black and Latino residents made up close to 90 percent of people stopped.
- About 88 percent of stops – more than 3.8 million – were of innocent New Yorkers.
- Even in neighborhoods that are predominantly white, black and Latino New Yorkers face the disproportionate brunt. For example, in 2011, Black and Latino New Yorkers made up 24 percent of the population in Park Slope, but 79 percent of stops.
- In 2012, New Yorkers were stopped by the police 532,911 times
- 473,644 were totally innocent (89 percent).
- 284,229 were black (55 percent).
- 165,140 were Latino (32 percent).
- 50,366 were white (10 percent).